Recently Debbie and went to take a look at a local landmark – Spynie Palace near Elgin. Admittedly it has seen better days, but once the palace was home to the Bishops of Moray for almost 600 years and stood at the edge of what was then Spynie Loch, now open fields and flat lands. It’s hard to imagine that at one time a huge area of ‘countryside’ running from Lossiemouth along to almost Findhorn Bay was completely under water with Roseisle, Burghead and Lossiemouth standing as three islands.
Although the oldest buildings have disappeared many years ago, what is left is very impressive indeed and stands dominated by David’s Tower. “The colossal tower at the SW corner dominates the whole complex. It measures 19m by 13.5m externally and rises to a height of 22m, making it one of the largest tower houses ever built in Scotland, and the largest by volume. It is named after Bishop David Stewart (1462–76), who commissioned it. However, it remained uncompleted at his death and was finished by Bishop William Tulloch (1477–82). Bishop Patrick (1538–73) added the gunholes. The coats-of-arms of all three bishops grace the south elevation, beneath the royal arms of Scotland. The great tower had a first-floor front entrance and six storeys”. Historic Scotland
Spynie Palace (Pitgaveny) is also believed to be the site of the deciding battle between King Duncan and the man we all know as Macbeth. Although described by Shakspeare as a mad, power crazed murderer, in fact Macbeth was a good and just king, with rightful claim to the throne, who ruled Scotland (Alba) for over 17 years which was a long time in those days.
Please check out therealmacbeth.com for full details on Macbeth.
Spynie Palace, definitely worth a visit on a sunny day to see it at its best.